Minifinity The Classic Mini Forum and Resource | • View topic - Pitted inner sills

Pitted inner sills

restoration, welding, interior and exterior styling, paintwork, detailing, cleaning etc

Moderators: Club Admins, Minifinity Staff

Pitted inner sills

Postby Slowlydoesit » Tue 7th Apr 2020, 07:26pm

Hi all

First proper post since rejoining and it's a question.
I've removed my outer sills as they were a bit rusty to find a hole in the front wheel arch and quite a lot of pitting. To be fair the pitting extends all the way along the inner sill to the join.
What are the thoughts? My initial thoughts were strip back, prep and re-preserve with something like u pol raptor followed by stone chip, undersea etc. However I've got a little nag about structural issues that the pitting might cause. I've just started to Mig weld so although I understand the theory of plug welding I'm by no means above novice!
I don't have a spit so would be probably bracing and rolling the car onto its side to do the work.
He cars been dry in a timber framed ventilated garage since 2009 so it's probably not really been rotting away for a while.
Advice on next course of action gratefully recievedImageImage
Slowlydoesit

Drives: 1989 Mini 30

Re: Pitted inner sills

Postby Nozzle » Tue 7th Apr 2020, 08:00pm

I had a similar set up and didn't want to cut out loads of the inner sill but you can do it a section at a time. You can brace from the door hinge holes or the catch plate too.

When positional welding (i.e. upside down) it help to have a slightly faster wire speed as the weld pool is upside down so you're pushing more wire into the pool. Not too fast though, it just gets crap inside the shroud then. Be very watchful that you're getting sound penetration, do some test welds in the same position on the same thickness of metal to see what works best. They try to smash apart your test welds

Nozzle
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: 1995 Rover Cooper SPi
1966 Morris Countryman

Postby Slowlydoesit » Wed 8th Apr 2020, 08:46am

So did you for example install forward bit from the seat belt cross beam as one piece, then the back section and butt weld the two together?
Slowlydoesit

Postby Nozzle » Wed 8th Apr 2020, 10:13am

I didn't need to replace the full length, only some of the floor pan and a sectiono of inner sill - do you have corrosion throughout?

Nozzle
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor

1966 Morris Countryman

Postby Slowlydoesit » Wed 8th Apr 2020, 10:16am

Yeah it's all the way down the length. Worst at the front end.
Slowlydoesit

Postby Nozzle » Mon 13th Apr 2020, 01:20pm

I'd say you have to bite the bullet and do the entire half-floor panel but I've never personally do it. In either event, what'll really help is taking out the seat and carpet and door cards so there is nothing flamable there. Take care of your wiring looms and grommets. Watch out for box sections filled with waxoyl. If you remove both doors you can use the left-over holes at hinges and latches for a cross brace. Maybe even the seatbelt holes too, or weld a section onto flanges depending how prepared you are for the clean up afterwards. Cover or remove glazing.

Nozzle
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor

1966 Morris Countryman

Return to Bodywork